What's the best workflow for managing hundreds of passwords and accounts? - David P.
Once LastPass becomes the hub of access to your online life, the number of stored accounts and data in general will grow. Organization becomes essential, and there are a number of tricks that will help you more easily manage your data and get the most out of LastPass as your password manager.
Organize Sites into Logical Groups
As you add sites to your vault, logical "groupings" of your data will likely emerge.
- Click the "Create Group" button on the left of your vault to add a new group
- Drag-and-drop individual site entries from one group to another to re-organize them
- Create group names that differentiate by category, such as "Shopping", "Financial", or "Social"
- When saving new sites, click the "Group" field to choose an existing group or create a new one
- Create "subgroups" within groups to further divide your sites
Create Identities for Different Environments
- Select "Add Identity" by going to the "Identities" tab in the vault
- Create a name for your Identities to easily distinguish between "Home", "Work", etc.
- Move all relevant data from your main vault to the new Identity
- When you switch to a different identity, from the dropdown in the LastPass vault, only data available in that identity will be filled as you browse, filtering out anything you don't want to see in your vault
- Edit an Identity at any time by clicking the "edit" option in the Identities tab
Use the Right-Click Menu Options for Quick Changes
As you continue to add more data to your vault, you can keep up with your organizational system by dragging and dropping your sites between groups, or by using the right-click menu options to quickly move your data or make changes.
Right-click on a group name to re-name it, create a subgroup within that group, or delete the group to remove all sites stored in it.
These are just a few tips to better organize and manage your data in your vault. What tips would you share for managing hundreds of passwords with LastPass?
Have a question for the LastPass team? Let us know in comments or send us a note at marketing[at]lastpass.com. If we choose your question, you'll get a Tshirt!